How do these calls affect users
In 2023, users wasted nearly 195 million hours answering these pesky calls which were at their peak during the holiday season, the report notes. They ranged from charity donations to fraudulent delivery notifications as well as vacation upgrades.
According to the report, most of these unwanted calls were dominated by scams with malicious intent. Meanwhile, the rest were legitimate sales calls, robocalls, online surveys and political calls. The report claims residents of the US state Mississippi received the most number of unwanted calls while Hawaii got the least.
The report also reveals that the majority of scams were related to credit card fraud, identity theft, medicare/insurance, social security, car warranty and debt collection. The average four-minute call time for each call also suggests that most recipients are unable to accurately recognise unwanted calls. This offers spammers or scammers enough time to trap their victims.
Origins of these calls
As per the report, the majority of spam calls (90.66%) originated or seem to originate from within the US. The remaining 9.34% of calls originated outside the US and most of them (over 80%) came from India. Apart from this, unwanted calls were also received from other countries like Nigeria, Egypt, Colombia, Canada and more.